In this article, we explain what you need to bear in mind when importing a car with an export registration number and how you organise it. It is important to pay attention to important details during transport in order to avoid being alone with the costs in the event of damage during the transfer.
What is a German export label?
The German export license plate is an international license plate that allows you to travel to Switzerland for a limited period of time. Its validity period ranges from 5 to 360 days. After that, the registration expires – even if the car does not yet have a Swiss registration. Please consider the duration until the Swiss MFK (Motor Vehicle Inspection). In certain cantons you wait 3 to 4 weeks for an MFK appointment. It is therefore advisable to accept the higher cost of a 30-day validity period for the export mark.
In order to obtain a German export license plate for importing cars into Switzerland, you first need a valid German liability insurance.
Export Indicator and the Insurance Gap
The German export license plate requires a valid liability insurance over 3 million Euro. If damage occurs to third party vehicles during a car import into Switzerland, the German liability insurance pays for this. However, damage to the new import car is not insured. This insurance gap can trigger expensive consequential costs, which remain with you. In order to close this insurance gap, we as Swiss insurance brokers have established cooperations with the largest Swiss car insurance companies and can offer you the Import Hull product to cover the hull risk on your way home.
Car Import Insurance
The car import comprehensive insurance covers damage to the vehicle already on the way from the car dealership abroad. If damage is caused to your own car during import into Switzerland, the import comprehensive insurance will cover it in full. Even if the export indicator has lost its validity, the status risk still exists, which also covers the import hull. DestinationEnglish
Overview of the advantages of auto-import insurance:
- No financial risk with your new vehicle
- Closes the insurance gap in the import process
- Mobility, breakdown and towing service in Europe
- Mobility, breakdown and towing service in Europe
- CO2 discount for CO2 poor vehicles
- Crash Recorder – handlebars up to 25 years save additional 15% premium
- Partial coverage deductible CHF 0 per claim, without reservations
- Extended coverage, e.g. in the event of glass breakage incl. Extended coverage, e.g. in the event of glass breakage incl. front and rear lights
- Parking damage cover unlimited, deductible CHF 0.-
- Fair value compensation in the first year 100% of the replacement value of the vehicle
- Component of the basic cover: In addition to the vehicle value specified in the policy, additional equipment and accessories which are added after conclusion of the contract are also insured free of premium – but in total up to a maximum amount of 10% of the vehicle value.
- Time value supplement Insurance of the vehicle up to the 8th year of operation
- Deductible CHF 500 for hull from 25 years of age possible
The only requirement for taking out import hull insurance:
- Receipt of the signed insurance application (at least 1 day before car import).
- Inclusion of liability insurance after Swiss registration.
Due to the high demand for the car import hull, the insurance companies offer a discount on the annual premiums over the entire term of the contract via the CO2 Börse AG. As car buyers, they can decide for themselves between different companies. Having the car insurance compare is simple and inexpensive.
Registration with the German Road Traffic Office for the export registration number
The next step is to go to the German registration office (corresponds to the Swiss Road Traffic Office). This is where the actual registration of the export license plate takes place. You will be asked to provide all the documents required. The following documents are required for successful admission:
- Vehicle title and registration document or foreign vehicle documents including COC.
- Official vehicle registration plates (if the vehicle is still registered) or the notice of deregistration in the vehicle registration document
- Valid identity card or passport
- Written power of attorney if the vehicle owner does not apply for the export licence plate himself
- Insurance confirmation (yellow card triple)
- Valid main inspection (HU) up to the last month of export (duration of HU must be at least insurance period)
- Commercial register excerpt or business registration, if the export registration number is applied for by a company
- Customs,import declaration and export declaration
As a rule, the motor vehicle tax is collected by direct debit. As we are Swiss car buyers and do not have a German account, the motor vehicle tax is payable directly on the spot. Therefore, take enough cash (Euro) with you.
Export registration: Schilderladen
After successful completion of enrolment at the registration office and receipt of the new vehicle documents, the last step is to go to the sign shop. The export license plate will be handed over to you on site.
Before buying a car abroad, ask to what extent the dealership can support you with the export license plates. Some German car dealers are already organizing German export plates for their Swiss customers as standard.
Taking into account some details, you can easily apply for a German export license plate for the transfer. To avoid any nasty surprises in the event of a claim, you should take out a Swiss car import insurance policy in addition to the German liability insurance. The period of validity of the export mark should be at least 30 days. If the vehicle has not been registered for more than 6 months, an additional CO2 tax is payable.
If the vehicle has not been registered for more than 6 months, an additional CO2 tax is payable.
Corbie GmbH was founded in 2007 and deals with financial issues relating to real estate, fiduciary services and insurance. You will find Corbié GmbH in the Swiss Insurance Market Supervisory Register as an independent insurance agency. To the website